Deaf Dialogue is Possible Training and Social Integration Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons
About This Project
In 2008 within the framework of the “Training and Social Integration Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons” Dialogue Center was founded.
Training and Social Integration Services of the Dialogue Centre provided free legal, psychological assistance, organized literacy and gesture language trainings with the aim of reintegration of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons in the society.
More than 800 deaf and hard of hearing persons currently are the beneficiaries of the project.
Duration: 3 years and 6 months
- Legislative proposal related to the authorization of deaf and hard of hearing persons to get a driving license was developed, submitted to the RA Government and was approved.
- Legislative recommendation on recognition of Armenian sign language was submitted to the RA Government and adopted by the Parliament.
- Procedures of licensing the sign language interpreters were developed, submitted to the RA Government and approved by the RA Ministry of Justice.
- Educational module and manual on training of Armenian Sign language interpreters were developed and disseminated.
- Non-formal education became accessible for deaf and hard of hearing persons by the training of trainers mastering Armenian sign language.
- More than 800 registered beneficiaries
- 2320 accompanying services
- 1068 seminars in sign language
- 300 persons participated in sign language trainings
- 219 vocational trainings for the deaf people
- 875 meetings conducted by the social workers
- 871 meetings conducted by the psychologists
- 885 legal consultations
- “Two Paths” film about the deaf people was shot with a special prize of the “Golden apricot”
The project was funded by the European Union and co-funded and implemented by Association Arménienne d’Aide Sociale (AAAS).
The Dialogue project continues…
Project Title: Dialogue Center
Implementing Organization: French Armenian Development Foundation
Duration: Since 2 January 2008 up to Januray 2016
Location: Yerevan, RA
The main activities are the provision of accompanying and translation services for the Deaf and organization of American and Armenian sign language courses by experienced professionals. Sign language trainings are planned to take place thrice per week with the duration of 2 hours for 6-10 persons group for 6 months. It should be noted that training courses include practical and informative courses. Besides the educational courses there are also exchange of experience and discussions in order to ensure the provision of needed information for the protection of the Deaf Rights.
In addition, the Center organizes on-line international discussions with the Deaf who master American Sign language. By learning American Sign Language the DHHP are no longer marginalized from the external world, they are able to communicate with other Deaf all over the world and also have an access to the necessary information via internet. As for the accompanying services, there is a special schedule on weekly basis so that the interpreter is available for accompanying the Deaf for administration or right protection issues. Two persons on a rotating basis ensure this position and support the Deaf.